Lumos

Julia's Blog

I know what I like, and I'm not afraid to fangirl all over it.

Slaughterhouse Five
Kurt Vonnegut
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2)
Douglas Adams
The Castle of Otranto
Horace Walpole
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
C.S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes
The Mysterious Benedict Society
Trenton Lee Stewart, Carson Ellis
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver
E. Lockhart
Blood Promise
Richelle Mead
Shiver
Maggie Stiefvater
Only Human - Gareth Roberts Maybe 3.5 stars since I'm in a good mood.

It was a very interesting idea, but I found myself having to put the book down to have a break from my building boredom with the story. Something about the novel's premise just did not captivate me as it should have.

I am disappointed that the complex characters of the Ninth Doctor and Rose were not handled as well as I would have hoped, with no character development at all. While I understand that they are fully "developed" characters already, it is still true that everyone learns something from their adventures.

I think that if it had not been for the Doctor Who element, I would not have continued reading past the 40% mark, but I'm glad I did as it was wrapped up nicely in the end.

Overall, I would say that the main thing missing from this is a love for the subject matter; without that passion for Doctor Who from the author, the characters fall flat and the story just never gets off the ground at all.